Missional Renewal Commission
The missional/renewal commission exists to support, encourage and provide resources to congregations, guiding them to find renewal through reaching out – becoming missional within their communities – rather than by turning inward.
The commission is composed of three teams, each with a focus and task: one, a resource and educational team; another, a visitation and assessment team – to visit congregations to hear their stories and assess their needs; and a third action team which would actively “walk” with congregations as they seek renewal through a more missional outlook.
The commission has also made a commitment to seek a broader understanding of the missional church, and to that end have been studying Introducing the Missional Church by Alan Roxburgh, as well as other resources.
We invite any congregation who wishes to learn more about the missional church, to contact us.
If you would like to talk more about how we can help your church click here to begin the process.
Below are some resources we recommend as you seek to become more missional.
Missional Renewal Toolkit
The Missional Renewal Commission is seeking to gather a list of resources which will assist local congregations as they seek ways to take the ministry and message of Jesus Christ into their local communities.
The E-3 Dynamic Church MovementE-3 is a new strategy to strengthen congregations, including their ability to attract and retain new members. This movement offers five modules which will work in any congregation which has a true commitment to real change on the part of clergy and lay leadership. Each module includes:
- a guidebook
- the availability of telephone and e-mail coaching to the congregation by a person familiar with the module and with congregational life
- and resources appropriate to the module that are designed for use on a congregation-wide basis.
For more information call 800-774-3360.
Missional Church Bibliography
- Missional:Joining God in the Neighborhood. By Alan J. Roxburgh. Grand Rapids, MI: BakerBooks -- Allelon Series. 2001
- Missional Church: A Vision for the Sending of the Church in North America (The Gospel and Our Culture Series) by Darrell L. Guder and Lois Barret (Editors) Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1998.
- Introducing the Missional Church: What it is, why it matters and how to become one. Roxburgh and Boran, Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Books, 2009.
- The Missional Leader: Equipping Your Church to Reach a Changing World. Roxburgh and Romanuk, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
- Missional Map-Making: Skills for Leading in Times of Transition. by Alan J. Roxburgh, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass 2010.
- The Continuing Conversion of the Church (The Gospel and Our Culture Series) by Darrell L. Guder, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2000.
- Evangelical, Ecumenical, and Anabaptist Missiologies in Conversation. Krabill, James R., Walter Sawatsky, and Charles Van Engen, ed. Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1991.
- Confident Witness-Changing World: Rediscovering the Gospel in North America (Gospel and Our Culture Series) by Craig Van Gelder (Editor) Grand Rapids, MI: eerdmans, 1999.
- Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission (American Society of Missiology Series, NO. 16) by David Jacobus Bosch Maryknoll, NY: Orbis Books, 1991.
- StormFront: The Good News of God (Gospel and Our Culture) by James V. Brownson Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2003.
- Treasure in Clay Jars: Patterns in Missional Faithfulness (The Gospel and our Culture Series) by Lois Y. Barrett (Editor) Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2004.
- The Church Between Gospel and Culture: The Emerging Mission in North America (Gospel & Our Culture) by George R.Hunsberger and Craig Van Gelder (Editors) Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans
- Crossing the Bridge by Alan Roxburgh, Precept Group, 2000.
- The Missionary Congregation, Leadership & Liminality (Christian Mission and Modern Culture) by Alan J. Roxburgh, Harrisburg, PA: Trinity Press International, 1997.
- Shaped by God's Heart: the Passion and Practices of Missional Churches by Milfred Minatrea, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2004.
- The Open Secret by Leslie Newbigin, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans 1978, 1995.
- The Gospel in a Pluralist Society by Leslie Newbigin, Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. 1989.
- Constructing Local Theologies by Robert J. Schreiter, Maryknoll, NY: Orbis 2008.
- Models of Contextual Theology by Stephen Bevans, Maryknoll, NY: Orbis 2009.
- Doing Local Theology: A Guide for Artisans of a New Humanity by Clemens Sedmak, Maryknoll, NY: Orbis 2002.
- Contextualization in the New Testament: Patterns for Theology and Mission by Dean Flemming, Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 2005.
- Studying Congregations by Nancy T. Ammerman, Nashville: Abingdon Press, 1998.
- Missional Church in Perspective, Craig Van Grider: Swight J. Zscheike.
A 2-minute explanation by Jeff Maguire (and friends) of what a "missional church" is.
Wonder & Word
Published by Bethany Theological Seminary 2010. Posted with permission.
This fall/winter 2010 publication of Bethany Theological Seminary focuses on the missional church. Many excellent articles describe what makes a missional church unique. Click here to download
Renew 52: 50+ Ideas to Revitalize Your Congregation from Leaders under 50 is a free e-book, edited by David J. Lose, that features short essays from 54 Christian leaders in 15 different traditions.
The authors are guided by the conviction that congregations are the primary place where the Spirit is at work for the renewal of the church.
Pick one essay or read them all -- and revitalize your congregation!
Click here to download
The Church After Christendom
Click here to download
Congregational Vitality Survey
Why should we take the congregational vitality survey?
Racial Justice Team Events
Resources for Understanding Race Relations
General Commission on Religion and Race of the UMC
From the Vital Conversations Video Series
Meaningful Conversations about RaceDr. David Anderson Hooker
Deconstructing White PrivilegeDr. Robin DiAngelo
Building the Beloved CommunityDr. Miguel De La Torre
Being an Ally with People of ColorKatelin Hansen, PhD
The Intersections of OppressionRev. Dr. Pamela Lightsey
Contrasting Current Activism with Civil Rights Movements of the PastRev. Jennifer Bailey